WHO rebukes Tanzania for not sharing information on Ebola
Written by Taiwo Adediran on September 22, 2019
The World Health Organization (WHO) has rebuked Tanzania for failing to provide information about possible Ebola virus infections. The WHO said it had learned of one suspected fatal case in Dar es Salaam and two others but, despite repeated requests, was given no information. Tanzania has said it has no suspected or confirmed cases.
Authorities in East and Central Africa have been on high alert for possible spill-overs of Ebola from the Democratic Republic of Congo where a year-long outbreak has killed more than 2,000 people. Fears about the possible spread of the outbreak in Tanzania started this month after a woman died from an unknown illness following Ebola-like symptoms.
On Wednesday, Tanzania formally notified the WHO it had no cases of Ebola, but it declined to share detailed data on suspected cases. Last week, the U.S. health secretary, Alex Azar, also criticized Tanzania for its failure to share information on the possible outbreak. He said Tanzanian authorities had not made samples available or allowed testing of the index case.