Telecom operators warns of network disruptions after Federal Government suspends fuel supply to border filling stations
Written by Taiwo Adediran on November 9, 2019
Telecom operators have warned that some regions in the country will experience communication disruptions due to the restrictions of trucks supplying diesel to transceiver base stations close to the border area.
The operators, who are members of the Association of Licensed Telecommunications Operators of Nigeria, precisely said by midday today, hub sites in Calabar area would be shut down due to lack of diesel.
The ALTON Chairman, Gbenga Adebayo and the Head of Operations, Gbolahan Awonuga, made this known in a letter to the Executive Vice Chairman, Nigeria Communications Commission, Prof Umar Danbatta. They said the directive of the Nigeria Customs Service on the movement of petroleum product around the border area was affecting telecommunications.
The network operators said the directive has security implications. It noted that the Customs Service had already stopped the trucks of its members in Kebbi, Kano and Calabar from supplying diesel to the telecommunications sites within the borders areas. The association called for an immediate intervention of the NCC and the Federal Government as major hub sites might be affected.