Shekau says am still in charge

Written by on August 17, 2015

an audio message has emerged, purportedly from Abubakar Shekau in which he denied ever being replaced as the Boko Haram leader. This was contained in a report by the BBC. Shekau, in the message addressed to the leader of the Islamic State militant group to whom Boko Haram has pledged allegiance, said he is still in command.

He had not featured in the group’s recent videos, prompting speculations he had been killed or incapacitated. Last week the Chadian president, Idriss Deby said he had been replaced and was no longer in charge, a statement Shekau described as blatant lies.

The eight-minute-long recording mocked a recent statement by President Muhammadu Buhari that Boko Haram would be eliminated within three months.

Meanwhile, barely three days after President Muhammadu Buhari directed the Service Chiefs to end Boko Haram insurgency in the country, the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) yesterday bombarded and destroyed over three dozen bunkers of the terrorists in Sambisa Forest.

A top military source yesterday in Maiduguri, said the co-ordinated joint military operations in the forest will continue and may extend to all Boko Haram training camps and cells in the three affected states of Borno, Yobe and Adamawa states.unnamed (5)


Reader's opinions

Leave a Reply


Current track

Title

Artist

Background