Iraq hangs thirty-six men over 2014 Camp Speicher massacre
Written by Morenike Adebayo on August 21, 2016
Iraq has hanged thirty-six men convicted over the killing of up to one thousand, seven hundred military recruits at a former US base in 2014. The massacre at Camp Speicher, near Tikrit, was carried out by fighters from so-called Islamic State (IS) as it seized territory across northern Iraq.
Abdelhassan Dawood, a spokesman for Dhi Qar governor’s office said the convicts had been executed at a prison in provincial capital, Nasiriyah. The Speicher massacre is considered one of the bloodiest assaults by IS since it took over parts of Iraq in 2014. The deadly attack played a key role in the mass recruitment of Iraqi volunteers to fight the terrorist group.
Meanwhile, reports have emerged that a suicide bombing which killed fifteen people in the Turkish city of Gaziantep this morning was carried out by a twelve to fourteen year-old.
President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, who disclosed this, said Islamic State was behind the attack, which targeted a Kurdish wedding party. Gaziantep, near the Syrian border, is known to have several IS cells. The bomb wounded sixty-nine people, seventeen of them seriously.