France boosts security after Brussels attacks
Written by Morenike Adebayo on March 22, 2016
French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve today said Paris is deploying one thousand and six hundred additional police to border crossings and air, sea and rail infrastructure after the Brussels attacks which killed at least thirty-four people.
Cazeneuve said access to public transport will be restricted to people with tickets and ID cards. He also called on Europe to further boost coordination and the fight against terrorism. He said French authorities have already prevented ten thousand people from entering the country since the November attacks in Paris that claimed one hundred and thirty lives.
French President François Hollande held an emergency meeting with Prime Minister Manuel Valls, Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve and Defence Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian this morning.
Speaking after the meeting, Interior Minister Cazeneuve said that various measures will be taken to boost security at transport hubs in the country, but denied initial reports that the border between France and Belgium had been closed altogether. Meanwhile, the Islamic State (IS) group said it was behind the attacks in a statement issued on the IS-linked Amaq agency.