Boko Haram Kills 35 in Attacks on Yobe, Borno
Written by admin on June 24, 2015
A total of 30 persons were believed to have been killed in Borno and Yobe States Tuesday as a result of the insurgency ravaging the North-eastern part of the country.
While the deadly Boko Haram sect launched an attack on a Borno village, killing not less than 20 persons, a female suicide bomber yesterday detonated an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) strapped on her, killing not less than 15 persons and injuring 26 others at a market in Nannawaji village of Gujba Local Government Area of Yobe State.
For instance, at Debiro in Hawul Local Government Area of Borno State, a fleeing resident who did not want his name in print, in Maiduguri yesterday that members of the Boko Haram sect stormed the village on Monday on motorcycles and utilities vehicles and shot sporadically.
He said some of those killed were fell by the gunshots and others had their throats slit. He equally said most houses in the village were razed.
‘’It was in the afternoon when we started hearing gunshots and people were running, there was confusion everywhere, some were shot dead and many had their throats slit.
“Our foodstuffs were equally carted away by the hoodlums,” he added.
He, however, confessed that: ‘’I cannot tell you sincerely the exact number of people killed but I lost count after counting 20 people, made and female brutally murdered.”
Debiro is a remote village located in southern part of Borno State, it’s about 246 kilometers to Maiduguri, the Borno State capital.
In the attack on Nannawaji village of Gujba Local Government Area of Yobe State, a resident, Kashim Ishaq, who accompanied the injured persons to Damaturu, said that: “Though I cannot give you the actual figure of the dead, I counted 15 corpses when we were taking flight as we were afraid that there could be more suicide bombers around.
“Some of us even felt that the insurgents might have used the suicide bomber as a strategy to destabilise us before launching an attack.”
He added that they were able to hurriedly assist those who were injured who they brought to Damaturu specialist’s hospital where they are currently receiving treatment. Ishaq said the suicide bomber attacked the market around 10:30a.m. and detonated bomb killing several people.
According to him, many people were killed but because the market was in disarray, no one could tell exactly how many people were killed in the attack.
“But one thing I can tell you for sure is that 26 victims have been taken to the Damaturu specialist hospital where they are currently receiving treatment,” Ishaq said.
Security forces are yet to confirm the attack but the Medical Director of the hospital, Dr Garba Fika, who spoke to journalists on the attack, said 26 patients had been brought to the hospital and being treated.
He said three patients have been taken to the theatre for various operations as three or four others may be referred to medical facilities in Nguru, Azare in Bauchi state or the Aminu Kano Hospital in Kano.
Tuesday’s suicide bomb attack is the first major attack in Yobe State since the commencement of the Ramadan fast which is in the sixth day.
The information officer of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), North-east office, AbdulKadir Ibrahim, confirmed the suicide attack in Yobe.
In a test message, Ibrahim stated that: “A female suicide bomber killed many people and herself in a crowded market in Wagir, Gujba local government area of Yobe State on Tuesday. Ten people were killed on the spot and over 30 injured.”
He said the bomber struck at about 11a.m. at the Kasuwar Buhunna when the market was at its peak.